Like it or not everyone in the service industry has dealt with them at one point or another , I doubt if they even know how rude they’re actually being . Maybe we should video tape them and run it back for them before the tip option on the P.O.S. machine anyway that’s a musing for another day. Today I give you the 10 most common types of annoying customers.
- The argues over the price one – I hear this all the time ” but the girl last time charged me less than that” I do not know what the other girl charged you nor do I care . In the category or things I do know , The price ! I work here and I have a fancy computer system that is so simple that even a brain dead monkey could figure out your tab.
- The stays forever one – You’ve been here for 4 hours and only bought one small coffee that my friend is why you can’t have yet another free refill.
- The comes in 5 minutes before closing one – Yes I understand that you don’t necessarily know when we close , that’s why I warned you when you came in ! If your not aware it’s extremely annoying to have to make a full order when the door is practically locked already and what’s more than that then you want to eat in . Let me reiterate I’m closing in 5 minutes , If you can eat a club sandwich in less than 5 minutes by all means be my guest in fact let me film it I’ll put it on my blog.
- The non tipper – The tackiest of the tacky , I’m waiting on you , making your food and bringing it to your table if anything you should tip me more than a bartender or conventional server yet because it’s a café you think this somehow exempts you from tipping . News flash café servers live off their tips just like all other servers.
- The talker – You know the one who goes on and on about their kids or their job like this mind numbing information is of any interest at all to a complete stranger.
- The too much perfume/cologne one – You have to coke back gagging just to wait on them and even after their hopefully swift departure the over powering cloud of odor hangs in the air resilient against futile attempts to remove it from your workplace.
- The awkward not funny jokes person – They think they’re the funniest person ever ! which presents any good server with a conundrum , it would be rude not to laugh so you end up doing this smile and fake giggle thing of course this only exasperates the situation though as now they think their joke actually landed and will plague you with other witless banter in the future.
- The cuts you off one – I’m asking you a question about the first part of your order we’re not on to the next item yet , slow down and listen ! I am not just talking for the good of my own health.
- The low talker – The mouth is moving but no words appear to be coming out , you would think by the third time I’ve asked you to repeat your self and I’m craned over the counter trying to make out what your saying you’d think hey it’s noisy in here maybe I should speak up . It’s a coffee shop not a library people .
- The doesn’t listen one – They ask you a question then promptly ignore the answer, only to ask you the same worded slightly differently 2 seconds later. If you’d just listened to me the first time you’d already know .
Like what I’m doing now check out what I was up to before all this @ http://thegreathardwooadventure.blogspot.ca/2014/06/headed-south-beautiful-blue-ridge.html
We’ve all had them , and over the years I’ve whittled mine down to 5 distinct types so without further a due here they are.
- The painfully slow day by far the worst in my opinion . You’ve only been at work half an hour but it feels like a life time , no customers , no prep or cleaning to be done , why are you even here ? I find these days made even worse when you have a thousand things to do outside of work .
- The chaotically busy day , a close second to the former . Everything is everywhere and it’s all filthy you barely have time to take a gulp of water before it’s on to the next thing , your starving , dehydrated and in desperate need of a bathroom break . Worst of all you just know you’ll be there long after your shift supposedly ended.
- The can’t do anything right day. Everything you touch fails you should have just stayed in bed , you being at work today is of no benefit to anyone involved.
- The hangover work day . I do this at least once a week ( don’t judge me I’m young I work hard , I like to party hard) for some reason unbeknownst to me I can’t wrap my head around the concept of Friday night being followed by Saturday morning . The result Saturday at work suck!
- The I’m not even supposed to be here today . Dante coined it in Clerks (if you haven’t seen it do yourself a favor and download that sucker ) the day you have plans and aren’t even supposed to be there are a total drag. They are thankfully easily avoided though, I just don’t answer the phone if work calls on my day off .
I want to hear about your terrible days , got one that’s not on my list leave me a comment and tell me all about it .
The way I see it when you embark upon the journey of parenthood you sign a binding contract , if you can’t control your screaming child don’t bring it to a restaurant , café or other public place.
We don’t provide highchairs for a reason! Can you guess what it might be ?
You know what I was a child once (duh of course ) and my parents took me to restaurants and if I had behaved anywhere close to as the way this kid is behaving , running around the restaurant screaming walking on tables and throwing food on the floor on purpose . I can assure you there would have been consequences and we certainly wouldn’t have been staying to finish our meals . My father wasn’t being harsh or cruel he was right !
There are other than you in the café , some of them are on dates , some of them are trying to study and get some peace from their crazy roommates and some of them are waitresses trying to make a living off our tips. Reality check , people don’t want to be in a confined space with a screaming child , no customers = no tips for me = no romantic getaway to Quebec city , I am not amused .
If you insist on towing your poorly behaved child to a restaurant then make it a family restaurant , with highchairs , kids menus and waitresses paid to put up with it .
Option 2 discipline your child so it can exist in an adult setting without making fellow patrons and the staff want to rip their hair out and run out the door screaming themselves .
Or option 3 get a baby sitter , they exist for a reason!
I know I know you have a kid and you love them and don’t want to be mean , I have a dog and I love here too but what I don’t do is bring her to a restaurant . Why ? because she would run around the place , she would run around the place annoying people and it wouldn’t be appropriate . So why do you think it’s ok for your child to do the exact same thing ?
People like this are the most prominent cause of my impending insanity and what will I’m sure lead to my inevitable mental breakdown.
The individual in question has been sitting in the window as long as I’ve been at work today , so far just over 6 hours !
who has that kind of time ? I mean I barley have time to do laundry. So far he has consumed an entire urn of coffee that’s around 16 cups! How is he not dehydrated ? Doesn’t he need to go to the washroom? or am I going to find when he leaves he already has (all over the seat) surely a spectacular end to an otherwise uneventful day .
Surely he must have somewhere else to go , he can afford 16 cups of coffee he can’t be homeless can he ? Isn’t he eventually going to get bored ? No smart phone , book , magazine , just staring blankly into the street FOR 6 HOURS! Whistling along with the awful coffee shop music at the top of his lungs.
I swear if this man lets out one more whistle or buys one more cup of coffee, I may actually lose my mind .
Is he not hungry ? What happens when I bounce him out of here so we can close? Will he go home ? or simply trundle down the street to the bar next door .
Where are you going man in the window? Do you know something we don’t ? are you Buddha reincarnated ? happy to simply sit watching the world pass you by ? or have you already lost grip on reality and are plotting to take me with you ? What’s your play here ?
So this conversation took place the other day
Customer : Do you have a washroom?
Me : Yes straight through that door (indicates door) and turn left
Customer : Do I need a key?
Me : Nope just straight through the door and to the left
Customer : Is it outside ?
At this point I’m thinking 3 things.
- Why in the world would the bathroom be outside ? we’re in downtown Toronto here , it’s hardly like we’re in some outback gas station liable to have out houses.
- Don’t you think if it was outside or you needed a key for that matter , don’t you think I would have mentioned that the first time you asked . I gave you a fork for your salad why would I not give you a key for the bathroom (if you needed one ) ?
- This is quite the inquisition for something you could have easily found the answers to yourself simply by following the sign labeled washroom .
These are my questions to you bathroom goer .